Technology - Instruction Set Simulator (ISS)
The ISS, provided in the main OVP download package is a standalone executable that performs the following tasks:
- Locate and loads CPU models from the library
- Load application code to run on the built-in platforms
- Modify the behavior of the platforms and models by changing run-time switches
- Load the OVPsim or CpuManager objects and simulate the platform
- Load a semihost library to allow application code to interact with host computer
- Invoke a GDB or MPD debugger to enable source code debug
- Invoke iGui or eGui to control the GDB/MPD debuggers using a GUI
- Report performance statistics when simulation is complete
The ISS can be used to simulate application code in bare metal environments by just loading up a cross compiled elf file and selecting a CPU variant. There are configuration options to locate memory and select other parameters.
As with all Imperas tools there is a command line argument --help that lists all the options available.