OVP Forums - A community of assistance, help, questions, and answers.
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in
Benchmark multithread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Ask a Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Benchmark multithread Reply with quote

Hi,
I created a multithread application, creating a thread with unix function pthread_t name_thead. And in makefile I insert the option "-lpthread" for include the library, and in the application I include the library <pthread>. But when I compile the compilator don't recognizes pthread_t. Where is the problem??
DuncGrah
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using the wrong Compiler!

I suspect you are using a bare metal compiler when, in fact, you need a compiler for a Linux hosted system whose libraries will support pthreads
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuncGrah wrote:
You are using the wrong Compiler!

I suspect you are using a bare metal compiler when, in fact, you need a compiler for a Linux hosted system whose libraries will support pthreads

and how I can use a compiler for a Linux hosted system?
DuncGrah
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One you could try is from CodeSourcery. They have a lite version of the GNU toolchain .. I found them at this link. You will want the GNU/Linux version.

There will be other toolchains you could use.

Remember, you will then need to run this within a Linux operating system on a platform such as the Arm IntegratorCP or MIPS Malta virtual platforms.
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuncGrah wrote:
One you could try is from CodeSourcery. They have a lite version of the GNU toolchain .. I found them at this link. You will want the GNU/Linux version.

There will be other toolchains you could use.

Remember, you will then need to run this within a Linux operating system on a platform such as the Arm IntegratorCP or MIPS Malta virtual platforms.

sorry but I don't understand. I used MSYS for compiler in a Windows enviroment, with this I simulated a ork1 platform with no operating system. If I want simulate the same platform with Linux operating system because I need thread, I can't use MSYS?
DuncGrah
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSYS provides a Linux like environment on a Windows system. It has nothing to do with running or compiling.

You will also have installed MINGW which provides a host toolchain. This was used to compile the virtual platform (OVPsim_or1k.c?) that runs the simulation.

The application that was executing on the OR1K processor model was compiled by an OR1K cross compiler toolchain. This application does not use features that are only available from an operating system, such as pthreads, that you now want to use.

What are you trying to do?
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuncGrah wrote:
MSYS provides a Linux like environment on a Windows system. It has nothing to do with running or compiling.

You will also have installed MINGW which provides a host toolchain. This was used to compile the virtual platform (OVPsim_or1k.c?) that runs the simulation.

The application that was executing on the OR1K processor model was compiled by an OR1K cross compiler toolchain. This application does not use features that are only available from an operating system, such as pthreads, that you now want to use.

What are you trying to do?

perfect, i understand now. I try to create a multithread benchmark; if I want to use pthread, what processor can I use that the cross compiler toolchain support thread?
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly what is the threads package you intend to use, I will assume pthreads (posix threads)

For pthreads to execute correctly, it requires services from a Virtual Memory operating system, because it makes use of system calls such as clone().

This means that a bare metal compiler will not be capable of compiling an application which uses calls to pthreads() functions (it has no virtual memory support), you must use a compiler which runs under a virtual memory operating system, such as Linux.

If you compile an application to run under a Linux operating system, you must create a platform capable of running the Linux Operating system, and run the operating system on the platform, the application can then be executed as a user application.

This is all based upon the premise that you are using posix threads, if your intention is to use a different threads package, then this is not the case.

If posix is your intended target, I would suggest looking at the Mips Malta platform or the Arm Integrator platform.

Thx
Lee
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeMoore wrote:
Firstly what is the threads package you intend to use, I will assume pthreads (posix threads)

For pthreads to execute correctly, it requires services from a Virtual Memory operating system, because it makes use of system calls such as clone().

This means that a bare metal compiler will not be capable of compiling an application which uses calls to pthreads() functions (it has no virtual memory support), you must use a compiler which runs under a virtual memory operating system, such as Linux.

If you compile an application to run under a Linux operating system, you must create a platform capable of running the Linux Operating system, and run the operating system on the platform, the application can then be executed as a user application.

This is all based upon the premise that you are using posix threads, if your intention is to use a different threads package, then this is not the case.

If posix is your intended target, I would suggest looking at the Mips Malta platform or the Arm Integrator platform.

Thx
Lee

perfect. Can I create a multithread benchmark? It's supported by OVP? Because in the using_processor_model guide say that it don't use with OVP
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please explain what is the intention of your benchmark ?
Are you trying to prove/disprove some theory ?

It is possible to install Debian Linux in the Mips Malta Platform, and then to compile multithreaded programs which will run on the simulated platforms.

It is not clear whether this will meet your goals, you have not discussed your ideas.

Thx
Lee
AntonioPrioletti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeMoore wrote:
please explain what is the intention of your benchmark ?
Are you trying to prove/disprove some theory ?

It is possible to install Debian Linux in the Mips Malta Platform, and then to compile multithreaded programs which will run on the simulated platforms.

It is not clear whether this will meet your goals, you have not discussed your ideas.

Thx
Lee

I don't have real theory to prove, because I am a student that is testing OVP characterist. With Mips Malta Platform, I can have many core as or1k platform? And then install Debian Linux and run a multithread benchmark?
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Malta board is a develpment board provided by Mips Inc
http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/malta/

There is extensive information about the model on this website if you look under http://www.ovpworld.org/download_MIPS.php

Thx
Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Ask a Question All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: