OVP Forums - A community of assistance, help, questions, and answers.
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in
Comparing with Simics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Ask a Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YasirQadri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Comparing with Simics Reply with quote

Hi There
I have been user of Simics for the past couple of years. While choosing Simics to work with I had a look at OVP initially as well. What I understood (at that time, and I might be wrong) was OVP did not have a multilevel Cache support and was not able to report cache statistics. May I know if following can be done on OVP:
1. Simulating a multicore x86 platform with ACPI support of 16 cores cache(on a single virtual motherboard).
2. Multilevel Cache integration with all statistics reporting for 16 Cores.
3. Report of number of cycles/execution time.
4. Be able to run Linux seamlessly on this 16-core platform.
5. Be able to connect to Ethernet/Internet of host through my Virtual Platform.
And finally a general query:
Does OVPSim have a cycle accurate version of models as well?

I think all these questions are very important specially for those who want to migrate from Simics and SimpleScalar platforms.
Regards
YasirQadri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing with Simics Reply with quote

OK I found that there is no x86 core available in OVPSim, so so how about the same questions for PowerPC/any other platform and additionally can I use OpenMP API to test scalability and threading analysis on a multicore PowerPC/any other platform platform.
Cheers
YasirQadri wrote:
Hi There
I have been user of Simics for the past couple of years. While choosing Simics to work with I had a look at OVP initially as well. What I understood (at that time, and I might be wrong) was OVP did not have a multilevel Cache support and was not able to report cache statistics. May I know if following can be done on OVP:
1. Simulating a multicore x86 platform with ACPI support of 16 cores cache(on a single virtual motherboard).
2. Multilevel Cache integration with all statistics reporting for 16 Cores.
3. Report of number of cycles/execution time.
4. Be able to run Linux seamlessly on this 16-core platform.
5. Be able to connect to Ethernet/Internet of host through my Virtual Platform.
And finally a general query:
Does OVPSim have a cycle accurate version of models as well?

I think all these questions are very important specially for those who want to migrate from Simics and SimpleScalar platforms.
Regards
DuncGrah
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating a multi-core platform (including heterogeneous) is a trivial C programming exercise using the OVP ICM API. So the 16-core platform you refer to would be straightforward. There are also commercial productivity tools to make this even easier!

OVP provides a virtual platform representation of real (or future) hardware. If Linux is written to run on a 16-core platform this same Linux kernel binary (without modification) would run on an OVP virtual representation of the same platform.

Regarding instruction counts and simulation time, this is standard simulator output at the end of simulation. Instruction counts are provided per core and as a simulation total.

OVP provides a high performance instruction accurate virtual platform simulation environment. It includes models for caches, although only some vendor types provide accurate features others are generic, that can give miss and hit statistics. As with all instruction accurate simulations, including simics, the accuracy of cache models are questionable in a multicore platform. It is only when you take into account pipelines, pre-loads etc as a slow cycle accurate simulation that you get the full accurate picture.

There is a user mode subset of an x86 core that is used for the Peripheral Simulation Engine (PSE), so OVP does have some introductory x86 processor modelling.

OVP includes models of Ethernet peripherals allowing multiple virtual platforms to be connected and for access to the Internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Ask a Question All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: